Today I made a batch of cookies to remember. The unfortunate thing is that I probably won’t. See, I have a recipe-tweaking habit that’s pretty out of control. And I often don’t write these tweaks down. Why? Laziness, maybe. It’s just that I tend to make such minor and complicated changes, that it hardly seems worth it to go through the trouble of writing things like “1/4 cup of almond meal mixed with flax meal (but with more almond than flax)”. Sometimes I’m not even sure exactly what I did to a recipe to make it tasted the way it does.
But heck, since I’ve already wasted so much breath (uh…finger energy?) on the topic, I may as well write out the recipe, complete with tweaks. Don’t judge me. Just try them. I promise they are super delish. And let me know if you make them – I’d love to know your thoughts!
Super Nutty Flourless Chocolate Chip Cookies
Grain and dairy free, high in protein, and as delicious as any cookie you’ll ever meet!
Adapted from here: http://glutenfreeeasily.com/gluten-free-flourless-chocolate-cookies/
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup shelf-stable natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup almond meal mixed with flax meal (about 60-70% almond)
- slightly less than 1/2 cup brown sugar + 3 tbs pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- a sprinkle (or more) of sweetened coconut flakes
- a sprinkle of dairy free chocolate chunks (such as Enjoy Life brand)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together well.
- Form dough into 1-inch balls.
- Places balls on ungreased baking sheets. (Flatten veeeeeery slightly.)
- Bake about 11 minutes. Cookies should have a lovely crackly surface but be very soft.
- Stuff your face with amazing cookies. Repeat as needed.